Share the joy of reading
with your Pre-Reader this summer!
Put reading first, by reading daily to your pre-reader this summer:
- Sign up the whole family for our Summer Reading Challenge. (Create a parent account first if you'd like to track your child's reading online).
- Visit us again and again this summer. We have a lot of fun events all summer (see our calendar) and you can ask our Youth Department staff for suggestions of great books to read to your young child. Once you register your child, you will also have access to exciting, age appropriate reading lists and missions made available by your HCDL librarians.
- Set a goal of reading to your child for at least 15 minutes every day. These 15 minutes can be spread throughout the day, they don't need to take place at one time. Log the days you've read, complete missions, read from Book Lists and work toward unlocking cool new games and earning a free book when you reach 1,000 points!
- Make reading fun all summer long!
How to "play" our Pre-Reader Summer Reading Program:
- Listen (to books read aloud and/or audiobooks), 1 day is worth 20 points.
- Earn 1,000 points by August 17 and get a free book.
- Pick up your sticker sheet at the Youth Services Desk to help you track your reading for the online program. You can also complete a paper activity sheet or complete the activity sheet online as a mission.
Extra ways to earn more points:
- Complete a mission and earn 100 points and an online badge.
- Attend certain library events to earn 10 points.
- Play a new game in the online reading program to earn 10 points. More games are unlocked as you progress and earn more points.
Other prizes you can earn:
- Weekly Prize! Record at least 3 days of reading time each week (Sunday-Saturday, starting June 3 and ending August 17) and pick a prize from the treasure box.
- Complete 16 activities on the activity sheet paper (or online mission) and earn 100 extra points.
Get Text Alerts/Reminders!
- After creating an account, log-in & go to “Account” to set up text alerts for:
- Reminding you daily or weekly to log your reading
- Prize pick up (5 days after they were earned)
- & more!
- After verifying your cell phone number, you can select which features/frequencies will work best for you.